Journal of Latin American Encounters (LAE)
LAE's Editorial Board is interested in written and visual work that will contribute to the understanding of Latin-Canadian identities in their social, economic, political and demographic context. The Editorial Board is particularly interested in bilingual (English/Spanish) contributions that engage new, critical and provocative conceptual and ethnographic/empirical approaches.
LAE's Editorial Board asks that manuscripts be original, theoretically-informed and accessible to a broad readership. Manuscripts wil be accepted with the understanding that they have not been previously published. If the material has already been published or is to be published elsewhere, the author must inform the editorial board at the time of submission. Interested individuals are invited to send manuscripts via email to
Please note that although LAE focuses on issues that affect and shape the lives of Latin Americans in Canada, each publication will also include one piece of work that is outside the journal's focus but that deals with Latin Americans/Latin America in the world.
As a semi-academic publication, part of the material published in LAE will undergo a process of scholarly peer-review. Please state clearly if you want your paper to be part of the peer-review process.
LAE's Editorial Board accepts the following material:
1. Articles/Essays containing between 2,500-8,000 words.
2. Photo-essays of approximately 1,000 words. Please include high resolution photos. Authors must have full copyright access to the photos. By submitting their photos, authors grant LAE the right to publish and diffuse them.
3.Research/fieldwork Reports of approximately 1,000 words.
4. Book Reviews containing between 500-1000 words.
All text must be double-spaced and typed in Times New Roman, 12-point font size. Margins should be at least 1 inch on all four sides. Work must be cited using APA style formats.
Each submission should include the following:
1. Cover Letter. Please provide complete contact information for the corresponding author (name, address, phone/fax, e-mail), the complete manuscript title, and a short biographical description of approximately 100 words.
2. Abstract containing approximately 200 words and a list of key words that best describe the content of the manuscript (4-6 key words)
3. References should be presented in a separate section. References may be cited in APA style.
4. Copyright Permission: Author(s) are responsible for securing permission to reproduce all copyrighted figures or materials before they are published by LAE. A copy of the written permission must be included with the manuscript submission.
Copyright © 2012 Latin American Encounters. All Rights Reserved.